Don’t you wish you could take a magic pill to age gracefully or just stop aging altogether? Well, unfortunately, there isn’t such a magic pill, but there are steps you can take to help you age healthily.
September is Healthy Aging Month, and your knowledgeable team at your local McAllen pharmacy, Saenz Pharmacy, are happy to share our top 7 tips for healthy aging.
Tips for Aging Healthily
1. Get Enough Sleep
Getting a full night’s sleep is key to healthy aging.
Sleep gives your body and brain a chance to recover from the previous day and recharge for the next. It can also reduce your risk of high blood pressure, depression, and other various health issues.
According to the Sleep Foundation, adults between the ages of 24-64 need at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep, and those 65 and older need around 7 to 8 hours of rest. Via www.saenzpharmacy.com.
Tossing and turning, waking up to go to the bathroom, and other interruptions mess with your quality of sleep, making it harder for your body to receive all the benefits of deep sleep.
Here are a few ways to guarantee a deeper sleep:
- Stick to a consistent bedtime.
- Find something relaxing to do before bed.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Invest in a good quality pillow and mattress.
2. Manage Stress In A Healthy Way
Stress can increase your heart rate, constrict your blood vessels, and release adrenaline. If you allow stress to be a frequent problem or to go on for longer periods of time, you are putting yourself at a greater risk for high blood pressure, heart attacks, obesity, and diabetes.
Everyone handles stress differently, therefore, outlets will vary for each individual.
Here are a few examples of healthy stress management:
- Breathing exercises
- Getting a massage
3. Eat A Well-Balanced Diet
Eating healthy is preached day in and out when it comes to overall body health and aging. The benefits are great, including a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
The easiest and simplest way to eat healthier is to put more color on your plate. Whether it’s spinach, broccoli, blueberries, or tomatoes. There is a variety of fruits and vegetables to choose from that you can add to your diet, along with lean meats such as salmon and chicken.
4. Exercise Regularly
There are many benefits to exercise that don’t include losing weight. Although maintaining a healthy weight is important for healthy aging, the other benefits of exercise include:
- Reduced risk for heart disease
- Reduced risk of injury if strength training
- Improvement in mood
- Reduced chronic pain
5. Be Social
The older you get, the easier it can be to feel lonely and secluded. Studies have shown that this can lead to high blood pressure, obesity, heart disease, depression, and even cognitive decline.
Whether it’s grabbing coffee with a friend once a week, volunteering at a local shelter, or joining a pilates group, it is important to get out there and have consistent human connection.
6. Stay On Top of Regular Doctor Visits
By visiting your doctor on a regular basis, you are staying ahead of possible illnesses or catching them early. This will also keep you up to date on all your vaccinations and allow your doctor to make adjustments to any medications you are taking.
Seeing your doctor regularly can help you to develop a good relationship with them. This will make you feel more comfortable around them and allow you to open up about certain issues.
7. Properly Manage Medication
Just like it’s important to stay on top of your doctor visits, it is also vital that you see your pharmacist regularly for the following reasons:
- To get your medication reviewed: Your pharmacist will be able to look over your file and make sure that the medication you are being prescribed is best for your current situation.
- To receive help for properly managing that medication: It can be tricky figuring out how frequently to take a medication or how to properly use devices like an inhaler or glucometer. Your pharmacists will be able to give you tips and assistance with any of your medications.
- For advice on over-the-counter medication: Over-the-counter medication seems very practical for headaches, cold relief, and pain management. However, many over-the-counter medications can interact with your prescriptions and cause adverse side effects. It is always best to consult the professionals at your local McAllen pharmacy.
By putting these tips to use, you will age in a healthy way and maybe even enjoy it too!
If you have any questions regarding your medications or medical devices, stop by Saenz Pharmacy and allow our pharmacists to assist you.