Even for the healthiest individuals, joint replacement surgery generally takes a minimum of six weeks of recovery. For other patients, however, this period can be much longer.
While in the process of healing, there are a variety of ways that you can make getting around much easier. Whether it’s everyday household items that you may already have or tools that you can purchase for only a few dollars, there are lots of ways to find the support you will need.
You can also find plenty of quality medical equipment when visiting your McAllen pharmacy, Saenz Pharmacy.
Everyday Household Items To Use During Joint Replacement Surgery Recovery
Following joint replacement surgery, it’s essential that you take the appropriate amount of time to let your body heal. This means you might not be able to return to your daily routine all that quickly, and you may need to figure out ways to get around more easily.
The fact of the matter is that you’ll probably need to develop strategies to make completing tasks easier for you during recovery, whether it’s moving from room to room or getting into the shower. While you might come across a few challenges, there are still plenty of resources available to you.
For mobility and ease of access, for instance, valuable items that can support your needs include:
- A shoehorn with a long handle
- A shower sponge attached to a long handle
- A long-handled bath loofah
- A hand-held showerhead
- A reacher or grabber tool
There are plenty of utility tools that you can purchase to make everyday tasks like picking up items and getting dressed less of a challenge. Stop by your local pharmacy and ask about where to start.
Making Home Adjustments
You’ll probably be spending more time at home during your recovery process, so you’ll want to make a few adjustments around the house to make the experience easier for you.
If you can, it’s always a good idea to ask your friends and family for help if you’re struggling to complete a task, including adjusting your living space. In preparation for the recovery process, you may want to make the following adjustments to you home:
- Stock up on easy to consume meals that require minimum effort to cook (ex. frozen meals and canned foods that do not require a can opener)
- When possible, place important items in positions where they are easily accessible (a reacher tool can help in these situations, as well)
- Consider placing your bed at a height that’s easier to get in and out of
- If possible, you should try to find a place for sleeping on the same floor as your kitchen and a bathroom to limit stair climbing
- Wear clothing that is easier to put on, like pants with elastic bands
- Have professionals help with installing ramps or railings
- Use light weights or exercise bands for physical activity (with physician approval)
- Consider hiring a caregiver during the critical first couple weeks of the healing process
Using the Right Medical Equipment
While there are plenty of household items and accommodations that can make life easier following joint replacement surgery, for the best results, we recommend using specially designed medical equipment. Equipment from pharmacies is specifically designed with patients in mind. During your recovery, you might want to invest in the following types of medical equipment:
- A walker
- A cane
- A sock aide
- A leg lifter for footrests
- A small, non-slip step-up stool for reaching small cupboards
- A medical bed or plenty of cushions
Medical Equipment for the Bathroom
One the activities that often becomes harder following joint replacement surgery is taking care of one’s personal needs in the bathroom. Unfortunately, individuals are often more prone to further injury when bathing or taking a shower following surgery.
Below, you can find a list of equipment to make manaevering in the bathroom easier. You can find these products at your McAllen pharmacy:
- A raised toilet seat and safety frame that make getting on and off the toilet easier
- Handlebars in the bathroom, around the toilet, shower, and bathtub
- A tub chair that allows you to sit during a shower
- A tub transfer chair that makes getting out of the shower and/or bath easier
- A non-slip bath mat that can reduce the chances of slipping and falling
Find Your Joint Replacement Surgery Recovery Tools at Saenz Pharmacy!
Recovering from joint replacement surgery can take some adjustments. That’s why we recommend that you look for specific supplies to make the recovery process easier and safer for you. This includes medical equipment from your local McAllen pharmacy.
Saenz Pharmacy is committed to providing high-quality medical equipment for our patients at great prices. If you want to get your home ready prior to your joint replacement surgery, contact us today with any questions about what equipment you should use.