When we think of the flu, we think of ways to avoid contracting this illness and feeling miserable. However, this year’s flu season is running later than usual. Luckily, it isn’t too late if you haven’t received your flu vaccination.
Learning more about this year’s flu is your first step in staying in tip-top shape. Keep reading for helpful information and tips on preventing the flu from your local drugstore.
Flu Season Is Running Late
In the United States, flu season typically runs through the fall and winter, usually peaking between December and February. According to an NBC News report, this current flu season is still peaking beyond the month of March, much longer than previous seasons but thankfully with a lower infection rate compared to pre-pandemic levels. Just like any flu season, however, avoiding infection is just as simple as it has been in the past.
Do I Have the Flu?
Some prevalent summertime illnesses have similar symptoms to the flu:
- Sore Throat
- Runny or Stufy Nose
- Muscle or Body Aches
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
Consult your primary physician to determine if you have the flu.
How Do You Prevent the Flu Before It Starts?
1. Avoid Those Who Are Sick – If possible, stay away from those who are sick. Limit the time spent in close contact as much as possible.
2. Wash Your Hands – Whenever you go out or are around someone who may be sick, it’s ideal to wash your hands often throughout the day. If you aren’t in an area where you can wash your hands, hand sanitizer may do the trick.
3. Don’t Touch Your Face – Avoid touching your face when around potentially sick people as much as possible. Germs and other infectious viruses that come into contact with your eyes, nose, and mouth are how those illnesses enter your system. When you do need to touch your face, it is best to wash your hands first.
4. Disinfect High Contact Areas – Areas that come in contact with many people should be wiped down regularly with disinfectants. Counters, doorknobs, and light switches are some of the most high contact areas.
5. Stay Healthy – Prevent the flu by going outdoors frequently for fresh air, eating foods high in vitamins and minerals, and exercising regularly. Staying active can help the immune system fight off all those little germs that could cause infection.
6. Get the Flu Shot – Stay up-to-date with your flu vaccine. Your local McAllen drugstore Saenz Pharmacy provides flu vaccines at your convenience. The CDC’s studies on flu vaccinations have shown that they aid in preventing the flu and in decreasing the severity of the illness.
Get Your Flu Shot From Saenz Pharmacy
The flu season is still upon us; take action to prevent the flu by following good healthy habits. If you have not received your flu vaccine, now is the time. Get your flu shot or medication to fight the flu by visiting Saenz Pharmacy today and pick up everything you need!