Breast cancer is a very serious health problem that affects millions of women around the world. In fact, it’s the most common type of cancer in women. Even if you haven’t been affected by it, you probably know a family member, coworker, or friend who has battled or been affected by breast cancer.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, which means it’s a great time to talk about how you can get involved in the fight against breast cancer. Keep reading to learn more about breast cancer prevention from your McAllen pharmacy.
Who Is Most Likely to Develop Breast Cancer?
Some people have a higher risk of developing breast cancer than others. If you can answer yes to any of these questions, you may be considered high risk.
- Are you a female over 50 years old?
- Do you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer?
- Have you never had children, or had children after 30 years old?
- Have you had breast cancer or other breast diseases previously?
- Have you had previous radiation therapy?
- Do you have other health conditions, like a gene mutation?
Many of these factors are out of your control; you can’t choose your family history, age, or ability to have children. But, you can still take some steps to reduce your risk of battling breast cancer!
7 Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer
You can make some lifestyle changes to reduce your risk and possibly prevent breast cancer. While these changes may not erase your chances of breast cancer, they’ve been proven to help reduce the risk.
- Limit Alcohol – One small drink every day can raise your risk of getting breast cancer by 7%, and it can reach up to 20% if you have two or three drinks every day.
- Keep a Healthy Diet – Eating a low-fat, plant-based diet, like the Mediterranean diet, could reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- Keep Moving – Exercising daily could help fuel your body’s immune system to fight off cancer.
- Keep a Healthy Weight – Estrogen levels can be higher in overweight women, and higher estrogen levels can cause breast cancer.
- Limit Hormone Therapy – Extra hormones from hormone therapy can increase the risk of breast cancer. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor for the best treatment plan.
- Breastfeed – If possible, breastfeed your babies! Breastfeeding may help protect against breast cancer, and the longer you do it, the better.
- Use Preventative Surgery or Medicines – If you have a higher risk of breast cancer due to an unavoidable situation, like family history, you and your doctor may decide on a preventative surgery or medicine to lower the risk.
While it’s not necessarily a preventative method, keep up on your self-checks and regular screenings. Early detection is key to treatment!
Support Breast Cancer Awareness Alongside Saenz Pharmacy!
October may be Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only time we talk about breast cancer prevention. You can get involved in breast cancer awareness by donating to charities any time of the year, but there’s no better time than the present!
At Saenz Pharmacy, you can discuss your medications and breast cancer prevention plan with one of our experienced pharmacists. Let us help you live your best life by reducing your risk of cancer today!