Whether seasonal or year-round, allergies can make you feel miserable. You might be sneezing, have a runny nose, feel itchy all over, or have so much sinus pressure it feels like your head might explode. During these times, getting allergy relief is very important!
Sometimes it’s hard to avoid the things that cause you to have an allergic reaction. Pollen, pet dander, and dust are everywhere! Win the battle against allergies with help from your McAllen pharmacy! You can ask your McAllen pharmacist about which antihistamine might work best for you!
Keep in mind: speak to your doctor before making any changes to your medications or allergy treatments. If your allergies are interfering with your ability to perform everyday tasks and enjoy life, you should talk to your doctor about your options.
Know Your Weapon: What Are Antihistamines?
When your body encounters certain pollen or pet dander, your immune system goes into hyperdrive! But antihistamines can come to your rescue by telling your immune system to back down. There are different types of antihistamines, so it’s important to know which is right for your symptoms.
Cetirizine can be a great option for bothersome allergies it treats both indoor and outdoor allergies. However, it can also make you feel drowsy.
Loratadine can help fight hay fever, red and itchy eyes, and eczema. It can still make you tired, but it may not be as drowsy as the cetirizine.
Like the other options, fexofenadine will make you drowsy, but it may not hit you as hard as cetirizine or loratadine. It’s great at helping fight off pesky allergy symptoms, but it can also make you feel dizzy or nauseous.
Choose the Method That Works the Best for Your Symptoms
Allergy medicine comes in many different forms: pills, liquids, eye drops, and more. Depending on your symptoms, one may work better than another. It’s important to talk to your primary care provider before making any changes to your medications.
If your nose is runny and your eyes are itchy or watery, a pill or liquid antihistamine may be able to provide relief. If your eyes are red and itchy, antihistamine eye drops may be the way to go! Or, you may prefer an antihistamine nasal spray if you’ve got an itchy nose or congestion.
Whether it’s an antihistamine in liquid form or nasal spray, the one that’s best for you is the one that provides the most relief! You can ask your McAllen pharmacist about which antihistamine might work best for you.
Fight for Allergy Relief With 6 At-Home Remedies
If you only experience minor allergic reactions or prefer an at-home approach to sinus relief, check out these at-home remedies!
- Try a Saline Nasal Irrigation – Flush out built-up mucus by using a sinus rinse from your local pharmacy.
- Change Out Your Air Filters – Keep the air clean by swapping out the air filters in your home and vehicles.
- Use a Dehumidifier – Keep hot and humid air from irritating your sinuses by using a dehumidifier in your home.
- Take a Probiotic or Vitamin C – A probiotic or vitamin C can help prevent or relieve allergic reactions.
- Eat Locally Grown Honey – Build up your immune system by eating a teaspoon of locally grown honey daily. Yum!
- Use Essential Oils – Dab peppermint, eucalyptus, or frankincense essential oil behind your ears for allergy relief. Keep in mind that some people may have low-level allergies to some essential oils, so essential oils might not be right for you if application causes skin irritation.
Finish the Fight With Saenz Pharmacy!
Allergies can really bog you down, but with Saenz Pharmacy by your side, you can pick up your weapon of choice to fight back! Our compassionate and knowledgeable team has your back; whether it’s a dehumidifier for at-home allergy relief or antihistamine eye drops, we’ve got the products you need! Don’t let allergies win the fight this year by reaching out to your McAllen pharmacy! We can help you figure out which solution can help you the most!